being a singer and the

139 views 0 replies
Reply to Topic
DMT

Total Posts: 0

by Xinhua writers Zhou Yan and Ren Liying

BEIJING nike air max 95 online , June 5 (Xinhua) -- Chen Siyu was strolling out of the school eatery one spring afternoon in 2011 when she saw an unusual motto on the
side of a classroom building. It read, "Run. Don't walk."

She ran all the way to the classroom and concentrated on her studies.

That summer, Chen was admitted to Beihang University, one of the best polytechnic universities in china.

The motto that inspired her is one of many similar mantras espoused at Hengshui High School, a school that is as notorious for its exacting approach to
exam cramming as it is for its students excelling.

Last year, 104 of its graduates were admitted to Beijing and Tsinghua universities nike air max 98 online , the country's top two. In the past two decades, at least 80 percent of Hengshui High School graduates have secured seats at noted
universities in the big cities.

In a few weeks, they will be joined by the cream of this year's crop.

More than 4,000 Hengshui High Schoolers will sit the national college admission test, or "gaokao," scheduled for Saturday and Sunday nike air max 2018 online , and they will no doubt rise to near the top of the 9.39 million candidates competing for places at nationwide universities.

The success, however, has not come without controversy. The school is criticized for its rigid rules and heavy workload for teenagers. Amid concern
that China's education system focuses too much on exams, Hengshui High School is
seen as the worst "gaokao sweatshop."

SWEATSHOP?

Here are some of the best-known slogans from the school, located in Hengshui, a rather underdeveloped city with 4.4 million people about 270 km south of
Beijing.

"If you haven't died from hard work nike air max 1 online , just work harder."

"Life is not a rehearsal, because you won't have the chance to live it all over again."

"Always ask yourself: what am I doing here? What kind of person do I want to be? And how much have I progressed today toward my goal?"

The school has more than 10,000 students, all of whom are boarders and follow a strict timetable.

As soon as they get up at 5:30 a.m., the students gather at the sports ground for 15 minutes of exercise. They all take their textbooks to the sports ground
in order to steal a glance while lining up, and then go directly to the
classroom for a 30-minute morning recital from 6 to 6:30 a.m.

The students have 13 classes a day nike air max 97 online , five in the morning, five in the afternoon and three in the evening. They have 40 minutes for lunch, an hour for a nap, 30 minutes for
supper and 20 minutes to watch TV news.

But all lights are out at 10:10 p.m. to ensure the students can sleep for seven hours.

On Saturdays, all the students have to take mock tests so that when the real ones begin, all are well-practiced.

Only Sunday afternoons are a time to relax and meet family members. Parents often travel to Hengshui on Sunday for a brief meeting with their children.
Hotels and restaurants become suddenly crowded for just a couple of hours -- as
the students need to get back to school by supper time.

The busy schedule is widely criticized for depriving youngsters of their personal freedom and instead turning them into robots. Students are even
penalized for eating sweets in class. Penalties range from oral warnings in
public to suspension of classes for up to a week.

However nike air vapormax online , supporters of Hengshui High School's methods can be relied upon to argue that all the work is worth it. Chen, who studied there for a year
after failing the national college admission test in her home city of
Shijiazhuang, capital of Hebei Province, says such criticism almost always comes
from people who know little of the school.

"Some say the school is a sweatshop," she says. "They just lack the real-life experience to realize that it's sweatshop and hard work -- not sweet shop and
fun -- that pave the way to universities."

Chen knew only two schoolmates who quit. "One of them dreamed of being a singer and the other was too timid and feared competition."

Chen herself says she will cherish her experience there for life.

"I was motivated by the school's inspiring culture," she remembers. "We were all encouraged to do our best and show others how well we were getting along. My
teacher once asked me nike epic react online , 'Why are you content to be a little potato when you well deserve to be a very important person?'"

Notably, this contradicts China's traditional value system, which encourages young people to take a low-key approach and avoid standing out.

"That year, I learned to work harder, to speak louder in public and to persevere," says Chen. "I was no more the shy nike odyssey react online , taciturn girl."

FOND MEMORIES

For Chen, the "sweatshop" had its own charms.

"School authorities tried to provide us with the best environment: exam rooms were air-conditioned to the most comfortable temperature and food at the school
canteen was always delicious," according to the undergraduate. "On exam days,
our teacher brought each of us a boiled egg, saying the protein would boost
brainwork."

Kong Linghang, a freshman at Tsinghua University www.onlineairmaxsneakers.com , also has fond memories of his three years at Hengshui High School.

"The pressure was high indeed, but I believe it is the same everywhere as long as you have to pass eliminatory tests," Kong argues. "My school had strict
rules that help us improve efficiency and ensure we all concentrate on our
single goal."

Looking back, he remembers the simple environment, the friendly chats with his classmates and the encouraging words from his teachers more than the scores
and rankings after every single test. "It's true I received an education that
was oriented entirely around exams, but I was one of the lucky guys who got the
best possible results. So I feel grateful for my teachers and school."

Mrs. Bai cheap nike air max online , a mother from Shijiazhuang, is still in close contact with her daughter's teachers and

Non che prorogati fa Nike Air M. http://www.wholesalenhlcheapjerseys.com/   Wholesale Cheap Jerseys China   Wholesale Jerseys For Cheap   http://www.wholesalecheapsoccerjerseyschina.com/   Wholesale Authentic Jerseys   Wholesale Custom NFL Jerseys   Wholesale Cheap NCAA Jerseys   Wholesale NBA Jerseys From China   Wholesale Baseball Jerseys From China   Wholesale NHL Hockey Jerseys 

Posted 12 Jun 2018

Reply to Topic