THE MONTH OF RAMADAN AND ITS IMPORTANCE

1322 views 7 replies
Reply to Topic
Shahrukh Khan

Total Posts: 43596

The Islamic months also called Lunar months are based on the sighting of the moon. The Islamic calendar began when Mohummed (pbuh) ordered his disciples to leave and save themselves from the atrocities committed by the Mekkans and emigrate to Madina called Yasrab at the time.

There are 12 months in a lunar year. These are:
1. MUHARRAM
2. SAFAR
3.RAWIAL-AWWAL
4. RAWIAL-SANI
5. JAMADAL-AWWAL
6. JAMADAL-SANI
7. RAJAB
8. SHA’BAN
9. RAMADAN
10. SHAWWAL
11. DHU QA’DAH
12. DHU HIJJAH

QURAN
Ramadan is the month in which the Quran was revealed with clear guidance and differentiation (Between Good and Bad) Whoever of you is a witness of this month, should fast. But if anyone is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed period (Should be made up) by days later. Allah intends every facility for you; He does not want to put you in any difficulties. 2:185 And eat and drink, until the white thread of dawn appears to you distinct from it’s black thread; then complete your fast till the night appears. 2:187

HADITH
Whoever fasts Ramadan with faith and seeking the pleasure of Allah, his past errors are forgiven. (Ahmed) Islam is based on the five pillars, the oneness of Allah, establishing prayers, paying Zakat (Charity) fasting in Ramadan and pilgrimage to Makkah. Fast when you see the new moon of Ramadan, and finish fasting when you see the new moon of Shawal, and if you cannot see the new moon then calculate thirty days of Shaban.

RAMADAN
The month of Ramadan comes once each year giving every fasting Muslim a spiritual and physical improvement which lasts until the following year.

CHARITY
To be homeless without a place to live and to loose your family or the home you were born in or to loose your spouse or children is a terrible thought. Yet this is what many Muslim brothers and sisters face each winter. We see this happening daily on TV or in the newspapers. "Every little bit helps", whatever you donate this Ramadan, it will give someone a chance to live or hope for a better future.

ZAKAT-A-FITR
This is a charity that must be paid at the end of Ramadan and only then is your fasts accepted.

ZAKAT-AL-MAL
This is a charitable tax which must be paid every year based upon your wealth. To do this during Ramadan is more rewarding.
Posted 30 Sep 2007

ABOUT 'SEHRI' AND IFTAAR (eating something before dawn and breaking of Fast)

Taking of Sehri is Sunnah. If one is not hungry and has no desire to eat, then two or three dates or some other light food may be taken or some water at least should be drunk.
If anyone woke up and did not eat anything as Sehri but only chewed a beta leaf, then he will get the credit of Sehri.
As far as possible the taking of Sehri should be delayed but not so much that the dawn may appear and put the fast in doubt.
If Sehri is taken early but continued to take tea etc. for long and gargled near dawn, then the credit of delayed Sehri is gained.
If anyone did not wake up for Sehri and all remained asleep, then fast should be observed without it. It is a sin and also cowardice not to keep a last because of not eating Sehri.
It is permissible to take Sehri till Fajr time starts and not after that.
If any one woke up late for Sehri and under the impression that it was still night took Sehri but it revealed later that it was after dawn, then the fast was not accomplished and it should be kept as a missed fast but recompense is not due. But even then nothing should be eaten or drunk and one should behave like fasting ones. In the same way if fast is broken thinking that the sun had set but the sun appeared after a while, then the fast is breached and should be kept as a postponed fast but no recompense is due, and it is also not proper how to eat or drink till the sun has actually set.
If the waking up was so much delayed that it was suspected to be dawn, then to eat or drink anything now is execrable and it would be a sin to do so. It after eating something it was confirmed that it was dawn, then a missed fast should be kept and if it is still doubt then a postponed fast is not essential. But as a precaution a postponed fast may be kept.
It is appreciable to break the fast as soon as the sun has definitely set. To delay after that is execrable.
On cloudy days the fast should be broken with some delay till it is definite that the sun would have set. The watches or clocks should not be relied upon as they may go wrong. Even if someone has called the Azaan and the setting of sun is still doubtful, fast should not be opened till your own heart is satisfied about the time.
It is appreciable to break the fast with dates or with some other sweet thing, but if any of these is not available, then with water. Some men and women open fast with a bit of salt and think it to be creditable. It is a wrong belief.

Posted 30 Sep 2007

CONDITIONS FOR NOT KEEPING FAST

If any one is so ill that fasting will be injurious or there is fear of aggravation or it may prolong then such a person may not keep fast and should offer compensatory fast after recovery. But it is not proper to give up fasting merely. upon one's own guess unless some pious Muslim Hakeem or Doctor advises.
If the Hakeem or Doctor is a non-believer or does not follow the religious code, his advice should not be trusted and fast should not be given up.
If on personal experience some symptoms convince one that fasting will be harmful, then such a person may give up fast. But if one has no personal experience and is not aware of the condition of the illness, then fast should not be given up on own guess. If not on the advice of a pious Hakeem but on ones own experience a fast is given up, then recompensation shall have to be given and it will be a sin to give up the fast.
A person has recovered from illness but is still weak and it is feared that the illness will revive if he fasts, then it is allowed for him not to keep it.
If any one is in journey, then it is permissible for him not to keep a fast and keep compensatory fast after returning from the journey. Traveller has already been described. The same rules apply here.
If there is no inconvenience in fasting during a journey. For instance he is travelling by train and hopes to reach home by the evening or has every thing of comfort, then it is better to keep a fast in the journey and if no fast is kept then there is no sin. A missed fast should be observed. In case fasting in a journey causes discomfort or inconvenience, then it is better not to keep a fast.
If any one did not recover from illness but died in it or died while in journey, then for the period that he did not fast in illness or journey, then he will not be held responsible for those on the Day of Judgement as he did not have time to keep the missed fasts.
If any one missed ten fasts in illness and then was well for five days but did not keep missed fasts in this period, he will be held responsible for these five fasts which he did not keep and the rest fasts will be remitted by Allah. But if he was well for full ten days and did not keep the ten missed fasts, then he will be held responsible for ten days. So it is essential for such a person, if he has the means, to make a will before dying for recompensation (Fidiyah) to be given for the days he is likely to be held responsible.
The same rule applies to the fasts missed in a journey. A will should be made for recompensation of the missed fasts.
If any one in a journey stays at a place with the intention of staying for fifteen days, then he should not give up fast as according to Shari’ah now he will not be treated as a traveller. But if the intention is to stay for leas then fifteen days, then it is permissible not to keep fast.
A pregnant woman or one with a suckling baby may not fast for the fear of her own-self or of the baby and should keep the missed fast later. But if her husband has the means he may engage a wet-nurse and relieve the wife and then it would not be permissible for the wife to give up fasts. But if the child is of such nature that it will not take milk from anyone else except the mother then it is permissible for her to give up fast.
If a wet-nurse took employment for a suckling baby and Ramadhaan came and the child's life will be at risk if she fasts, then nurse may also not keep fast.
If during Ramadhaan a woman has monthly course or gave birth to a child, then for period of menses and after birth discharge she may not keep fasts.
If a woman was relieved of the discharge at night then she should fast next morning. If she did not bathe in the night even then she should keep a fast and bathe in the morning. But if she is relieved in the morning then she should not fast that day but it is not proper for her now to eat or drink but should remain like the fasting ones.
If any one accepts Islam during day or attained maturity in the day then it is not permissible for such person to eat or drink for rest of the day. But he did eat, then compensatory fast for such person is not essential.
Being in journey one had no intention of keeping a fast, but reached home an hour before mid-day or stayed some where with an intention of staying for fifteen days and nothing was eaten or drunk up to this time, then should now resolve for a fast.
It is not proper to give up the Ramadhaan fast without any legitimate cause, it is a major sin. It should not be thought, he will keep a postponed fast for each missed fast as it has been described in the Tradition that even if fast is kept one whole year for one missed fast even then it can not be equal to the reward of one fast of Ramadhaan.
If one has the misfortune of not keeping a fast then he should not eat or drink in presence of others and should neither declare that he is not fasting as publicising a sin is also a sin and if declared it would be a double sin-one of not keeping a fast, and the other of publicising it. One who is not keeping a fast due to some reason, he too, should not declare it others.
When boys and girls are capable of keeping fast they should be made to keep fast and should be compelled to keep fast when they attain the age of ten years. If fast of one month are not possible for them to keep then as many as possible should be kept by them.
If a minor boy or girl breaks a resolved fast then he or she should not be forced to observe a postponed fast but if prayer is disrupted after making intent, then they should be made to repeat it.

Posted 30 Sep 2007

What should be done during this great month

(*) Preparing oneself and one’s environment for worship, hastening to repent and turn back to ALLAH, rejoicing at the onset of the month, fasting properly, having the right frame of mind and fearing Allaah when praying Taraaweeh, not feeling tired during the middle ten days of the month, seeking Laylat al-Qadr, reading the entire Qur’aan time after time, trying to weep and trying to understand what you are reading. ‘Umrah during Ramadaan is equivalent to Hajj, and charity given during this virtuous time is multiplied, and I’tikaaf (retreat in the mosque for worship) is confirmed (as part of the Sunnah).

(*) There is nothing wrong with congratulating one another at the beginning of the month. The Prophet (peace and blessings of ALLAH be upon him) used to tell his Companions the good news of the onset of Ramadaan, and urge them to make the most of it. Abu Hurayrah (may ALLAH be pleased with him) said: “The Messenger of ALLAH (peace and blessings of ALLAH be upon him) said, ‘There has come to you Ramadaan, a blessed month. ALLAH has made it obligatory on you to fast (this month). During it the gates of Paradise are opened and the gates of Hell are locked, and the devils are chained up. In it there is a night that is better than a thousand months, and whoever is deprived of its goodness is deprived indeed.’” (Reported by al-Nisaa'i, 4/129; Saheeh al-Targheeb, 1/490)

Posted 30 Sep 2007

~CHANDNI~ says
Duas for the whole month of Ramadan

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 1*

ALLAH, on this day make my fasts the fasts of those who fast (sincerely),
and my standing up in prayer of those who stand up in prayer (obediently),
awaken me in it from the sleep of the heedless, and forgive me my sins , O
God of the worlds, and forgive me, O one who forgives the sinners.

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 2*

ALLAH, on this day, take me closer towards Your pleasure, keep me away from
Your anger and punishment, grant me the opportunity to recite Your verses
(of the Qur'an), by Your mercy, O the most Merciful.

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 3*

ALLAH, on this day, grant me wisdom and awareness, keep me away from
foolishness and pretension, grant me a share in every blessing You send
down, by You generosity, O the most Generous.

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 4*

ALLAH, on this day, strengthen me in carrying out Your commands, let me
taste the sweetness of Your remembrance, grant me, through Your
graciousness, that I give thanks to You. Protect me, with Your protection
and cover, O the most discerning of those who see.

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 5*

ALLAH, on this day, place me among those who seek forgiveness. Place me
among Your righteous and obedient servants, and place me among Your close
friends, by Your kindness, O the most Merciful.

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 6*

ALLAH, on this day, do not let me abase myself by incurring Your
disobedience, and do not strike me with the whip of Your punishment, keep me
away from the causes of Your anger, by and Your power, O the ultimate wish
of those who desire.

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 7*

ALLAH, on this day, help me with its fasts and prayers, and keep me away
from mistakes and sins of the day, grant me that I remember You continuously
through the day, by Your assistance, O the Guide of those who stray.

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 8*

ALLAH, on this day, let me have mercy on the orphans, and feed [the hungry],
and spread peace, and keep company with the noble-minded, O the shelter of
the hopeful.

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 9*

ALLAH, on this day, grant me a share from Your mercy which is wide, guide me
towards Your shining proofs, lead me to Your all encompassing pleasure, by
Your love, O the hope of the desirous.

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 10*

ALLAH, on this day, make me, among those who rely on You, from those who
You consider successful, and place me among those who are near to you, by
Your favor, O goal of the seekers.

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 11*

ALLAH, on this day, make me love goodness, and dislike corruption and
disobedience, bar me from anger and the fire [of Hell], by Your help, O the
helper of those who seek help

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 12*

ALLAH, on this day, beautify me with covering and chastity, cover me with
the clothes of contentment and chastity, let me adhere to justice and
fairness, and keep me safe from all that I fear, by Your protection, O the
protector of the frightened.

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 13*

ALLAH, on this day, purify me from un-cleanliness and dirt, make me patient
over events that are decreed, grant me the ability to be pious, and keep
company with the good, by Your help, O the beloved of the destitute.

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 14*

ALLAH, on this day, do not condemn me for slips, make me decrease mistakes
and errors, do not make me a target for afflictions and troubles, by Your
honor, O the honor of the Muslims.

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 16*

ALLAH, on this day, grant me compatibility with the good, keep me away from
patching up with the evil, lead me in it, by Your mercy, to the permanent
abode, by Your God ship, O the God of the worlds.

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 17*

ALLAH, on this day, guide me towards righteous actions, fulfill my needs and
hopes, O One who does not need explanations nor questions, O One who knows
what is in the chests of the (people of the) world. Bless Muhammad and his
family, the Pure.

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 18*

ALLAH, on this day, make me love goodness, and dislike corruption and
disobedience, bar me from anger and the fire [of Hell], by Your help, O the
helper of those who seek help.

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 19*

ALLAH, on this day, multiply for me its blessings, and ease my path towards
its bounties, do not deprive me of the acceptance of its good deeds, O the
Guide towards the clear truth.

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 20*

ALLAH, on this day, open for me the doors of the heavens, and lock the
doors of Hell from me, help me to recite the Qur'an, O the One who sends
down tranquility into the hearts of believers.

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 21*

ALLAH, on this day, show me the way to win Your pleasure, do not let
Shaytan have a means over me, make Paradise an abode and a resting place for
me, O the One who fulfills the requests of the needy.

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 22*

ALLAH, on this day, open for me the doors of Your Grace, send down on me
its blessings, help me towards the causes of Your mercy, and give me a place
in the comforts of Paradise, O the one who answers the call of the
distressed.

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 23*

ALLAH, on this day, wash away my sins, purify me from all flaws, examine my
heart with (for) the piety of the hearts, O One who overlooks the
shortcomings of the sinners.

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 24*

ALLAH, on this day, I ask You for what pleases You, and I seek refuge in
You from what displeases You, I ask You to grant me the opportunity to obey
You and not disobey You, O One who is generous with those who ask

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 25*

ALLAH, on this day, make me among those who love Your friends, and hate
Your enemies, following the way of Your last Prophet, O the Guardian of the
hearts of the Prophets.

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 26*

ALLAH, on this day, make my efforts worthy of appreciation, and my sins
forgiven, my deeds accepted, my flaws concealed, O the best of those who
hear.

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 27*

ALLAH, on this day, bestow on me the blessings of Laylatul Qadr, change my
affairs from (being) difficult to (being) easy, accept my apologies, and
decrease for me [my] sins and burdens, O the Compassionate with His
righteous servants.

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 28*

ALLAH, on this day, grant me a share in its nawafil (recommended prayers),
honor me by attending to my problems, make closer the means to approach You,
from all the means, O One who is not preoccupied by the requests of the
beseechers.

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 29*

O ALLAH, on this day, cover me with Your mercy, grant me in it success and
protection, purify my heart from the darkness of false accusations, O the
Merciful to His believing servants.

*Ramadan Dua: DAY 30*

O ALLAH, on this day, make my fasts worthy of appreciation and acceptance,
according to what pleases You, and pleases the Messenger, the branches being
strengthened by the roots, for the sake of our leader, Muhammad, and his
purified family. Praise be to ALLAH, the Lord of the worlds
Posted 04 Oct 2007

friend_16 says
though there are some basic info in the beginning of the topic .. still JazakAllah..
Posted 06 Oct 2007

valandrian says
bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398
bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398
bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398bd26398
bd26398
Posted 29 Apr 2018

Posted 24 Sep 2018

Reply to Topic