Atif Aslam : Tamgha e Imtiaz Winner

1723 views 5 replies
Reply to Topic
Shahrukh Khan

Total Posts: 43596

ATIF ASLAM has been recently awarded Tamgha e Imtiaz from the government of Pakistan.Check out exclusive chit chat with Atif after gettin the award:

Q: How did it feel to be honoured by the government at the President's Award ceremony this year?

Atif Aslam: It was amazing! The ceremony was great. The people there were so fascinating. There was this one man who was being honoured for making khussas. There were so many different kinds of people and it felt amazing to be part of this crowd.

Q: And there you were, all dressed up in a sherwani!

AA: The sherwani part was fascinating. We were told it had to be black tie and in Pakistan 'black tie' means a sherwani. So Shahbaz (Atif's brother and official stylist) designed one for me. But when I wore it, I told him I felt like a dulha. It was weird but also cool in a way.

Q: Why do you think you were given the award this year specifically?

AA: I think because I represented Pakistan internationally a lot this year. That's what the Tamgha-e-Imtiaz stands for. It's awarded to people who make Pakistan proud globally. I performed in around 25 different countries this year and that's why I received it. It is always a great feeling to honour one's country.

Q: Other than India, which country do you think you're most popular in?

AA: Strangely, I was very pleasantly surprised in Mauritius. I was there around March 12 - my birthday - and a girl in a shop recognized me. Shahbaz was buying me balloons and stuff and suddenly all these fans appeared wishing me the best of wishes. I was really surprised because I never knew that the people of Mauritius knew me that well. That night I performed in front of 14,000 people. It was a great experience. But other than Mauritius, even Norway and London are great.

Q: You've made quite a name for yourself in India too, but there has been some strong criticism by singers like Sunidhi Chauhan and Abhijeet who say that you can't sing…

AA: (laughs) I've never said I can sing. Look, unlike these guys, I have no professional training and I always say that I cannot sing. I agree I cannot sing. What's amazing is that I've made a career out of doing something I can't do. Sunidhi is a brilliant singer and she is welcome to her opinion. As for Abhijeet, I have to say that his opinion rises from his anti-Muslim sentiments.

Q: You've also made some admirers, like Bipasha Basu…

AA: Bipasha is quite an interesting dish!

Q: There have been rumours that you have been getting offers to act in Bollywood films too?

AA: I have but am waiting for the right script, no matter how clichéd that sounds. Right now my music career is going great. My album, Meri Kahani, has been number one on charts in India and Pakistan. I don't want to put my music career at risk right now.

Q: Do you think the fact that the government is recognizing musicians will make a difference to how music is perceived in this country? Can the government do anything to facilitate the progress of this industry?

AA: I think the government has promoted it, which is why it's going places. Pakistani music is going places, man! We're being appreciated all over the world. At the Award Ceremony, I was told that I'm the youngest artiste to have gotten this award and even more was expected from me.

Q: So, are you already working on your next album?

AA: Like I said, Meri Kahani is still in the spotlight. 'Pehli Nazar Main' is in the spotlight and is doing exceptionally well. Yes I will start working on my next album soon but it'll be a commercial album unlike Meri Kahani. I am going to go commercial now. Plus, other than that, I am recording a song for an Indian film (starring Shahid Kapoor and Vidya Balan) called Qismat Connection these days. Instep is the first to know.

'Pehli Nazar Main' plays to crowded houses as Race fever strikes Pakistan

Race is on in cinemas in Pakistan and other than the star cast - Saif Ali Khan, Akshaye Khanna, Anil Kapoor, Bipasha Basu, Katrina Kaif and Sameera Reddy - it's Atif's vocals on 'Pehli Nazar Main' that has people swaying to the beat. Like 'Tere Bin' from the film Bas Ek Pal, Atif's song 'Pehli Nazar Main' is undoubtedly the strongest track on the Race soundtrack. It's already out in a club and lounge versions and is doing the rounds of all major music channels. Meri Kahani seems to be doing well too, but amazingly, it's 'Pehli Nazar Main' that does justice to Atif's mind blowing vocals. His voice leaps out of the song in full force, whereas in the album it seems mellowed out and drowned in the midst of the music.

Indian critics are all praise for Atif. "'Pehli Nazar Mein' is a soft rock stylized mushy song," writes SmashHits.com. "The soft rock music is gentle and addictive, thanks to some pleasant guitar strumming, but the credit goes to none other than the brilliant Pakistani singer named Atif Aslam of the 'Woh Lamhe' and 'Tere Bin' fame. His vocals lift it to a new pitch. He expresses the emotions of someone who has just fallen in love. And, Sameer's lyrics leave big impact. Overall, this is a must listen at least because of Atif's performance. So, try it once more."

Hey, do we need to say more? Could there be a better reason for heading out to the cinema?
Posted 07 Apr 2008

Reply to Topic