Inzamam ruled out while Moin Khan Recalle

503 views 7 replies
Reply to Topic
Shahrukh Khan

Total Posts: 43596

Pakistan today announced their squad for the opening Test against South Africa, which starts at Lahore on Friday (Oct 14). Yousuf Youhana takes over the captaincy from the injured Inzamam-ul-Haq, but the major surprise was the recall of the former captain Moin Khan.

Moin, 32, has not played international cricket since March 2001, when he was replaced as captain after a string of poor results, culminating in the series defeat by England in December 2000. He led the side in the following series in New Zealand, but was forced out of the team with a knee injury, was replaced by Waqar Younis as captain, and then cast into the wilderness. However, with Rashid Latif refusing to play in this series after his sudden resignation, Moin has another chance.

Also recalled were Taufeeq Umar, Imran Farhat and Misbah-ul-Haq, but there was no place for Younis Khan or Abdul Razzaq. Mushtaq Ahmed's inclusion was subject to his recovery from a stomach-muscle injury, while Umar Gul is on standby. The 16-man squad included just one uncapped player in Asim Kamal, a middle-order batsman.

"The team has been selected on the availability of players, current performance and form," said Aamer Sohail, the chairman of selectors. "We understand that there are some injury concerns and that did make our task difficult. However, the squad has been picked with the consent of the team management."

Meanwhile, Inzamam is expected to be fit for next week's second Test at Faisalabad. He pulled a hamstring during the second ODI last week, and although he played in Sunday's series decider he was clearly incapacitated. "Tauseef Razzak [Pakistan's team doctor] examined Inzamam," explained Haroon Rashid, the Pakistan manager, "and has confirmed he needs at least a week's rest to recover from his hamstring strain."

Squad
Taufeeq Umar, Imran Farhat, Yasir Hameed, Yousuf Youhana (capt), Misbah-ul-Haq, Faisal Iqbal, Asim Kamal, Shoaib Malik, Moin Khan (wk), Shoaib Akhtar, Mohammad Sami, Mushtaq Ahmed, Danish Kaneria, Shabbir Ahmed, Salman Butt, Kamran Akmal (wk).

Posted 15 Oct 2003

~Fragi~ says
wanna waqar bak in side 2
Posted 15 Oct 2003

madmax says
waqar ko leena caheyay team mae
Posted 16 Oct 2003

Rain Man says
the test match started yesterday
Posted 16 Oct 2003

fanatic test is starting from tomorrow, dou have ytv (yesterday tv)
Posted 16 Oct 2003

~Fragi~ says
shahrukh khan said:

fanatic test is starting from tomorrow, dou have ytv (yesterday tv)

nice shot
Posted 16 Oct 2003

Rain Man says
nah i thought it was...cool now i can watch em too

YTV lol i wish i had that
Posted 16 Oct 2003

~Fragi~ says
SRK_FANATIC said:

nah i thought it was...cool now i can watch em too

YTV lol i wish i had that

her wish pori nahi hoti na
Posted 19 Oct 2003