PITTSBURGH -- Once again, the Arizona Diamondbacks found a victory

319 views 2 replies
Reply to Topic
zgr123

Total Posts: 1230

PITTSBURGH -- Once again, the Arizona Diamondbacks found a victory to be worth the wait. Gilbert Arenas Wizards Jersey . Adam Eatons bloop double in the 16th inning drove in two runs and the Diamondbacks outlasted the Pittsburgh Pirates 4-2 on Sunday. Eatons career-high fourth hit came during his seventh at-bat, giving Arizona its club-record 13th win in extra innings this season. "As long as you want to go, well go with you and stay in a dogfight," Eaton said. "Well play as long as we need to play." The Diamondbacks needed seven pitchers Sunday over 4 hours, 39 minutes, in improving to 13-5 in extra-inning games. Arizonas victory was its 27th in its final at-bat, by far the most in the majors. It also was the Diamondbacks 36th comeback win -- second-most in the majors -- and ninth in as many games when playing beyond nine innings on a so-called "travel day." "It can be frustrating when you get into extra innings and dont come through, but all you can do is keep battling and our guys do that," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said. With A.J. Pollock and Didi Gregorius on base and two outs in the 16th, Eaton fought off a 1-0 pitch from Kris Johnson and dunked the ball into shallow left-centre. A sprinting Andrew McCutchen failed in his attempt at a diving catch. "That ball wasnt exactly crushed," Eaton said. "He threw a slider and I tried to stay through it, and good things happen when you put the ball in play." Arizona remained five games behind Cincinnati in the race for the second NL wild-card spot. Pittsburghs lead in the NL Central dwindled to one game over St. Louis. The Pirates dropped two of three to Arizona, losing their third consecutive series. "Were playing good baseball; were just in a stretch here," Pittsburgh second baseman Neil Walker said. "We need to keep grinding it out and keep playing hard. Weve played a lot of innings, so its taxing us a little bit." Pittsburgh lost its third extra-inning game in six days. The Pirates have played 69 innings during that span -- the equivalent of almost eight games. The resulting weary bullpen was why they summoned Johnson from Triple-A Indianapolis in a move that was announced less than hour before game time. Johnson (0-1) threw 82 pitches in six innings. He had five strikeouts and allowed five hits and two walks. "Its satisfying -- I just wish I could have done a little more," Johnson said. Johnson is a 28-year-old minor league veteran of 189 games. He was 10-4 with two saves and a 2.41 ERA in 25 games (20 starts) with Indianapolis this season. "Just a fantastic effort for your major league debut," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. "We couldnt ask him to do any more than he did other than to find a way to win that game." Wade Miley limited the Pirates to two runs over eight innings and Aaron Hill went 4 for 7 to extend his hitting streak to 11 games for Arizona. The Diamondbacks (64-58) play their next four games in Cincinnati against the Reds, who are 2 1/2 games back of the Pirates in the division race. Six Arizona relievers combined to pitch eight scoreless innings. Brad Ziegler (7-1) had two strikeouts while pitching perfect 14th and 15th innings, and J.J. Putz worked around two walks -- one intentional -- in the 16th to earn his sixth save. Johnson struck out swinging to end the game. After Hills bases-loaded single scored Eaton in the sixth, the Diamondbacks had the bases loaded and no outs with an opportunity take the lead. They tied it at 2 when Gerardo Parra grounded into a double play. Pirates starter Charlie Morton allowed two runs on seven hits and three walks with six strikeouts. Tony Watson allowed a single during each of his two innings, but struck out the side in the ninth. Mark Melancon worked a scoreless 10th and has allowed an earned run during just one of his past 26 outings. The Pirates scored once each in the first and third on RBI doubles from Russell Martin and Jordy Mercer, who had three hits. Miley, who has a 2.04 ERA over his past nine starts, limited baserunners. Together with Arizonas relievers, they combined to throw 13 consecutive shutout innings until the offence was able to break through. "Were always confident because we know somebody is going to get the job done," Pollock said. "We have a lot of good guys on this team and you know someone is going to come through." NOTES: OF Andrew Lambo was optioned to Triple-A and C Michael McKenry was transferred to the 60-day disabled list to make room on the Pirates roster for Johnson. ... Starling Marte went 2 for 4 against Miley and has reached safely in 12 of his past 19 plate appearances against left-handers. ... The Pirates were set to leave after the game for the West Coast, where they will play seven games in seven days. In NL games played in California over the past two seasons, the Pirates are 1-11. ... RHP Randall Delgado (4-3, 3.53 ERA) starts for Arizona on Monday night against the Reds RHP Bronson Arroyo (11-9, 3.35). Authentic John Wall Jersey . Fisher, one ahead overnight, carded a 5-under-par 67, including seven birdies and two bogeys, at Copperleaf to lie at 18 under after three rounds. His fourth and last tour win was the Irish Open in 2010, when he also played in the Ryder Cup.Authentic Michael Jordan Jersey .The list of nominees was reduced Thursday to 15 from the modern era, one senior and two contributors. A finalist must receive at least 80 per cent of the votes from the 46-person selection committee to be elected.TORONTO - Ricky Foleys shock and dismay have been replaced by the excitement of returning home.The veteran defensive end spoke Monday for the first time since the Saskatchewan Roughriders dealt him to the Toronto Argonauts for Canadian linebacker Shea Emry on Saturday. The move was a surprise considering Foley re-signed with the club in December rather than test free agency after tying his career high with 12 sacks in 2014.It came out of left field . . . thats why I waited to really address anybody media-wise, Foley said from Vancouver during a conference call. It was the right decision to go to Saskatchewan, it was the right decision to sign there this off-season.It (the trade) was tough but now Im starting to get the goose bumps, emotions and excitement of going about going back home to Toronto and play with the Argos again.But not after issuing a thoughtful, heart-felt farewell to Rider Nation on his Twitter account.They embraced me especially, Foley said of the Riders rabid fans. Its hard to say I only had two years there, it kind of feels like I spent my whole career there and Im leaving after 10 years.Its special out there and Im looking at it as a blessing. I was really appreciative, I said it in the letter and meant it.The six-foot-two, 258-pound Foley first joined the Argos as a free agent in 2010 after starting his CFL career in 06 with the B.C. Lions. It was a homecoming for Foley, a native of Courtice, Ont. — roughly 60 kilometres east of Toronto — who played college football at York University.Foley, 32, spent three seasons with the Argos, finishing his first go-around with a bang. He was named the top Canadian in Torontos 34-22 victory over Calgary in the 100th Grey Cup game at Rogers Centre in November 2012.But there were times of frustration, too, struggling to adjust to former defensive co-ordinator Chris Joness schemes. A tenacious pass-rusher, Foley was often required to drop back into pass coverage like a linebacker.Foley, the CFLs top Canadian in 09 after posting 12 sacks with B.C., became a free agent shortly afterwards and instead of remaining in Toronto he signed with Saskatchewan. After recording eight sacks in the Riders Grey Cup-winning 13 campaign, Foley was a key cog in a unit that tracked down rival quarterbacks a league-leading 61 times last year.But with end John Chick (CFL-high 15 sacks) and tackle Tearrius George (12 sacks) — who also re-signed with the club thiss off-season —in the mix, GM Brendan Taman used his position of strength to shore up Saskatchewans linebacking corps with Emry, an eight-year veteran and two-time Grey Cup champion. Wes Unseld Jersey. The six-foot-one, 228-pound Emry had a team-high 72 tackles in his first season with Toronto. Sophomore American Brian Peters — a pending free agent — led Saskatchewan with 77 tackles but Emry, 28, of Richmond, B.C., allows the Riders to play an International starter elsewhere.The arrival last season of Cory Greenwood of Kingston, Ont., and presence of James Yurichuk of Brampton, Ont., and Winnipegs Thomas Miles allowed Toronto GM Jim Barker to deal Emry and upgrade a pass rush that had 46 sacks last yearShea came in and did a great job for us, Barker said. We were looking at playing two Canadian inside linebackers potentially and this presented itself.Its never easy to trade a popular player and a guy our coaching staff and myself really like but sometimes you have to put that stuff aside.Foley gives Toronto another dominant pass rusher to complement Tristan Okpalaugo (team-high 12 sacks as a rookie). Thats a need considering defensive back Jalil Carter — now with the NFLs Minnesota Vikings — was second on the unit with five sacks.Ricky fits what (defensive co-ordinator) Tim Burke wants to do, Barker said. Hes a straight-edge pass rusher who plays with high energy and is a total Toronto guy.Tristan had a great first year and hopefully the addition of Ricky will help him. Ricky has been on (three) championship teams . . . and having as many of those guys who know how to win on your club certainly helps.Barker wasnt surprised by Foleys return.When he left I actually told him at one point, Theres going to come a day when you come back to us, Barker said. Hes a pro and were excited to have him back.Foley was impressed with what he saw last year from Okpalaugo.He put up good numbers as far as sacks go but you could see him getting better as an all-around defensive end, Foley said. Thats something I take pride in.The glory stat is sacks but every year I try to make sure I lead the league in tackles by a defensive lineman because I think thats an effort thing that shows an all-round game.NOTES: The Argos named Jonathan Himebauch their offensive line coach and assistant head coach. He spent last year as Edmontons offensive line coach and has previous coaching experience with Montreal and Calgary. Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap NFL Jerseys AuthenticWholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys Authentic Auston Matthews Jersey ' ' '
Posted 14 Oct 2016

Reply to Topic