Tauqir Zia resigns as PCB chairman

459 views 2 replies
Reply to Topic
Shahrukh Khan

Total Posts: 43596

Lt-Gen. Tauqir Zia, the chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board, has announced his resignation. Addressing the media in a packed PCB conference room, Zia, who was accompanied by Rameez Raja, the chief executive, said: "I had sent in my resignation to the President [Pervez Musharraf] on November 23 and it was accepted yesterday. I will be completing my four-year tenure on December 14 and that will be my last day.

"My decision was well thought out and not emotional. In my tenure, I feel we have developed Pakistan cricket and rebuilt after the recent World Cup.

"I consulted with my family and have their full support. In fact on a recent car trip I was alone with my son Junaid and he said, 'Dad, you should have gone yesterday rather than today.' I feel badly about my presence affecting his career, I feel his career suffered pressure while I was chairman. Now it's up to him to flourish or move onwards to studies or other pursuits." Junaid has made rapid strides from junior levels to the senior team, but his ascent has been tinged with controversy, with the media accusing the selectors of nepotism.

Tauqir Zia's resignation comes in the wake of the television-rights controversy which required the president's intervention. After the first one-day match of New Zealand's current tour of Pakistan was blacked out worldwide, a meeting led to an agreement for a joint broadcast of the remaining matches, with Pakistan Television screening the games for viewers in Pakistan, and GEO TV beaming the signal abroad.

Addressing the media, Zia spent a long time outlining the various measures in place for developing cricket in Pakistan, from the successful National Cricket Academy project to developing grounds and coaches all over the country. He thanked his management team, particularly Rameez Raja, who he said had not even asked for a salary in four years. Commenting on media complaints about possible conflicts of interest in being the chief executive and a television commentator, Zia stated categorically that Rameez took on both roles with his approval.

Reacting to criticism of Aamer Sohail, the chief selector, Zia said that while Sohail's tendency not to mince words might have rubbed some people up the wrong way, he had nevertheless done a fine job: "Aamer has been one of the best chief selectors."

He went to emphasise: "Selection was strictly on merit and we have given chances for players to perform without any hidden angles or agendas." Zia also thanked President Musharraf, saying: "I have always enjoyed his unprecedented support and encouragement throughout my tenure."

When asked to name his possible successor, Zia stated that he had recommended Rameez's name to Musharraf, who will take the final decision. However, several other names have been touted, including Arif Ali Abbasi, who has been a board member in the past, and Khalid Mahmood, a former chairman of the PCB.

Posted 01 Dec 2003

~Fragi~ says
ah bad news

coz he was doin many good things fo cricket in pak
Posted 01 Dec 2003

yah he want more attention at home, junaid zia abhi yahien hai
Posted 02 Dec 2003

Reply to Topic