LAAJ-A GREAT FAILURE!

2665 views 65 replies
Reply to Topic
paki lion

Total Posts: 1162

In Laaj, Rauf Khalid attempts to fit in too many clichés and is unable to ever make the sum of the parts gel

Our history, or more accurately our recent history, has an overbearing effect on us. The experience of being colonial subjects, the pain of living in the perpetual shadow of an overbearing majority and the suffering caused by the partition of the sub-continent along with what many people prefer to call a 'religious divide' have been pivotal in shaping our collective consciousness.

So, if somebody thinks that all these factors can be successfully played upon to make people go to the cinema, he is perhaps being too naive. For people in the business of making films firmly believe that history has always provided great fodder for cinema. No doubt it does. Remember Ben Hur, Gladiator, Lawrence of Arabia and hundreds of other Hollywood blockbusters. Closer home, the historical romance of Noor Jehan has been the fodder of successful Bollywood filmmakers like nothing else. Lagaan, Ashoka and a couple of Bhagat Singh flicks are only the most recent additions to a seemingly never ending list of Indian movies based on history, both real or imagined.

Pakistani cinema has a comparable list to show if not in quantity than at least in the variety of historical subjects -- romances, wars, anti-colonial struggles and Hindu-Muslim conflicts.

And if you want to see all these combined, go to see Laaj. The film set in the spring of 1936 moves to and fro between Bannu and Bekanare, two mutually distant parts of undivided India. It tells the story of a rich Hindu girl Ram Kori in love with a poor Muslim boy Noor Ali -- this class division being another filmi favorite -- set in the context of a war of independence from the British being fought in the backdrop of a simmering religious conflict between the Hindus and the Muslims.

All these themes are strong enough to evoke passion and consequently appeal for the movie. Sadly for Laaj's writer-director Rauf Khalid this hasn't happened. Even a casual viewing of the film shows that he has only himself to blame for the failure.

First, he has tried to do too much. In a short span of three hours, he has attempted, unsuccessfully though, to prove or disprove too many theories - that Muslims are forgiving and considerate, that the British exploited Hindu-Muslim divide to strengthen their rule in India, that goras succeeded because of fifth columnists among us, that Pashtuns fiercely guarded their independence against the colonial invaders, that love knows no differences --the list can go on forever like this.

The problem this plethora of themes creates for the writer/director is an ideological confusion. The cine-goer is not sure even after watching the whole of the movie whether Rauf Khalid is supporting something or opposing it. When a Hindu girl shows her readiness to revoke her religious belief for the sake of her lover, she is quickly reminded that Islam does not favor a conversion for amorous purposes. You are not sure whether the writer/director stands for the poor girl or for the selfless pursuit of puritanical religious affinity.

In another set of contradictory ideological choices, the writer/director is caught between approving traditional Pashtun customs and opposing them for being too illiberal and inhuman. The film opens with a Pashtun girl facing the wrath of her tribe for getting abducted. The subsequent events show that our writer/director disproves it as being rather cruel. When it comes to fighting the British, however, he seems to eulogize the same Pashtunwali -- customary Pashtun law -- for providing people courage to defy the colonial order.

Nationalism/patriotism falls victim to a similar fate. Fakir Ippi, a controversial and little known Pashtun tribal figure, who is known to have kept fighting against local/national authority even after the foreign/colonial rulers have left makes it impossible for the audience to identify with. The movie leaves people wondering which side of this ideological battle they should take and consequently they fail to associate passionately with any of it.

In fact, the viewers expected to see many of these things in a Rauf Khalid film. He has to his credit a couple of TV serials made in defence of a staunchly Pakistani version of Kashmir issue. As if this was not enough, he opens Laaj by attributing it to late writer/director Riaz Shahid known for his historical hits like Zarqa and Gharana.

Had the movie been a faithfully correct reproduction of the events it purports to show, the audience might have tended to overlook all the theoretical muddle. The problem is this is hardly the case with Laaj. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the movie -- like most cinematic narratives -- creates history retrospectively. And a retrospectively created history is selective at best and distorted at worst depending on who is behind the effort and what are their motives. If the purpose is to show that pre-partition Muslims as being the only upholders of bravery, chivalry and loyalty then all Hindus and British need be portrayed as being the embodiment of all that is quite the opposite -- greed, cunningness and treachery.

Not that these historical stereotypes are the only thing wrong with the narrative. The presentation, too, is faulty. At a time when the British are shown to be using aeroplanes against Pashtun insurgents, the hero is made to travel 1000 miles on horseback through the most difficult terrain imaginable. Another important omission is a correct reproduction of accents -- only a Rajisthani dance girl, a couple of minor Pashtun characters and the British actors are the only ones who remain faithful to their native accent, all the rest use as chaste Urdu as is possible.

And they say the director has taken pains to be faithful with details! Maybe. Because first the ruins of Cholistan's Darawar fort are too much in the picture for the audience to believe that the action is taking place further southeast in Rajisthan and second the clothes worn by the Rajisthanis make them look more like clowns than real people. Only characters in Indian movies and real-life Rajisthanis are known to have been using dresses like the ones we see in Laaj.

The flawed details apart, even the broader scheme of the movie fails to take hold of all its ingredients. Love, freedom struggle, religion and nationalism when contained -- with too much of an effort -- in the story, they stretch it too thin for the hapless viewer to be able to make any sense of it all. Various events appear in the movie like clothes hanging on a washing line -- that is, without any apparent link to each other.

The most tenuous of all these links is the one between love and war. Was it the former which triggered the latter or the link between the two is only accidental, you never know. The writer/director drops a couple of broad hints that it was the love affair the mishandling of which caused the Pashtuns to take up arms against the British. But does the history bear this out is the matter of a wild guess.

This may be because Rauf Khalid is motivated by a desire to outdo the established writers/directors of Pakistani cinema. A story with a single-minded focus on vulgarity or violence or both is not his cup of tea. His are lofty aims, so must be his story. Even the most ordinary of human affairs -- that is the relationship between a man and a woman -- must, therefore, be rendered in such a way that it edifies the viewers. But the problem is that all these aims are lost in the muddle that the movie is and the viewers are left wondering whether it has been any different from the run-of-the-mill Pakistani cinema.

On at least two other counts, the movie also gives away its Pakistani origin. First, it is a
Posted 10 Sep 2003

kiya lambhi kahani likhi hai??,,,,,,,,,, well dintread the whole thingi.......... well same story like all other say,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well itd judy a start,,,,,,,,,,,,, en practise makes man perfect .,, they ll learn from these mistakes........its just the way they put up the stories.. if ure gonna compare it with bollywood en hollywood , obviously ure gonna notice more negative points then the positive ones... but i think this film shud be rewarded as we all will notice the difference in the scenes in the quality ,, en the hard work done by all the actors en the efforts done by the whole team of laaj,............
Posted 11 Sep 2003

what do pakistanis want in thier films? I don't understand how this film could have floped. Sometimes i wonder what Pakistanis are thinkning?

Pyar Hi Pyar Mein was also a flop.......why? B/C of new actors? I don't know anymore!
Posted 11 Sep 2003

pyar hi pyar   mein had a really simple en the usual story... one hero en two heroines en u knw wat happens in that case.......... en the newcomers !! wat would u expect from themm?? that was the second flopfactor.........anyways,,,,,, i dont think laaj would be that bad as its written above,,,,,,, it must be true en its based on the facts,,,,,,,, but i thnk its a first step,,,,,,, thngs arent that bad,,,,,,,,,,
Posted 11 Sep 2003

MR PERFECT says
damn......another one bites the dust!

you're right T.O. Raptors......what the heck do we want to see?! lol. they said laaj and larki punjaban were two sure-fire winners. one's proven otherwize, according to this article, and i hope the other one delivers (LP). afterall, its got a mix of old and new cast. not 2 mention updated quality. who knows...lets see.....

Posted 11 Sep 2003

Rain Man says
all i want is, good print, decent acting...nice music, good sound...and the movies is PERFECT...so imma see LAAJ no matter what happens...
Posted 11 Sep 2003

in my opinion this type of movie is beyond the expectations of Gundassa culture so people fond of this culture rated this movie the worst
Posted 11 Sep 2003

Rain Man says
correct!
Posted 11 Sep 2003

nishu007 says
yaar dont post such boring topics.
Posted 11 Sep 2003

ricky boy says
NFAK I M SO SORRY TO SEE YA DISTRESSED . I REMEMBER U MENTIONING THESE MOVIES ALL TEH TIME ON OTHER THREADS. THAT MUST HURT . BUT THAT S OK -- IT S A LEARNING PROCESS ANS WHO KNOWS - A FEW MORE GENERATIONS AND U MIGHT BE ABLE TO MAKE A REAL MOVIE. AND AS FAR AS RAPTORS AND NFAK BEING CONFUSED BOUT WHAT THE PAKI PEOPLE WANNA SEE -- THE WRITING S ON THE WALL NFAK .. IT S BOLLY TIME BABY. SETTLE IN UR LIVIN ROOM , ADJUST A GREAT HOME THEATRE SYSTEM AND GET AN ORIGINAL DVD( HOPE U KNOW WHAT AN ORIGINAL DVD MEANS , NFAK OF A LATESAT BOLLY BLOCKBUSTER AND ENJOY THE WORLD ---AS COLRFUL AS VIBRANT AND AS MUSICAL AS IT GETS. DONT MIX UP MORALITY AND PATRIOTISM WITH INDULGENCE
Posted 11 Sep 2003

WELL LISTEN THE THING IS.. I AM FED UP OF THOSE FILMIS . U KNOW ONE HERO FIGHTING WITH BILION PEOPLE,,, LOVE STORIES .....GOSH PETHETIC MAN....GILS SEES A GUY,, THEY FALL IN LUV EN THEN END OF THE STORY... THE ACTION MOVIES CONTAIN ALL ABOUT THE HISTORY,, ABOUT THE TERROTERIES BEING APART,, BLA BLA,, EN THEN THEY TRYIN TO HUMILATE THE PAKIS..... ITS SIMPLY DISGUSTING,,,, EN THE HORROR MOVIES?? HAHA QUIET FUNNY THOUGH.,, U THINK THEN IS IT HORROR? OR IS HET HORROR?? HAHA,,, CANT FEEL A THING,,,,, EN THE FACT THAT WE WATCH THEMM IS DAMN SPENDING SOME TIME AS THE LANGUAGES ARE SAME... U KNOW SAME BASE,,, JUST DIFFERENCE OF RELIGIONS..... ALL THAT BLA BLA.....EN BY THE WAY TALKIN ABT THE DVD'S !!COME ON GUYS IT AINT ON U THAT WE VE GOT DVD'S ITS THE LATEST TECHNOLOGY ..... EN ABOUT THE TRANSLATION IN ENGLISH.. GOSH I REALY LAUGH AT WAT THEY TRY TO TRANSLATE,,, THE ENGLISH IS SO CRAP,,,ANYWAYS.... COMMON THINGS IN THEIR FILMS IS THAT WHEN THE STORY BEGINS U CAN JUST WATCH IT WITH CLOSE EYES AS U KNOW WAT WOULD NEXT HAPPEN,,,,WAT MORALITY AND WAT PATRIOTISM EN WAT INDULGENCE????? LEARN SOME MORE MAN,,,,,, AINT GONNA WORK WITH THAT SARRI HUIE ANGREZI,,,,,,,,,,
Posted 11 Sep 2003

EN NISHU IF I WAS U I WOULDNT EVEN BOTHER TO WRITE ANY COMMENT IF I FIND SOME TOPIC BORING, ZOO GOOO AWAYYYYYY
Posted 11 Sep 2003

paki lion says
to motherf**king nishu..what the hell do u want? u are talking about peace..but u still got anti pakistani attitude..if u want new topic then start new topic u ba*****!so called peaceful human being!
Posted 11 Sep 2003

umair16 says
the film was a hit . . loads of ppl liked it . . theirs some ppl and directors in pakistan and other country and say bad things about it cos they get jjilouse . .
Posted 11 Sep 2003

yeh kya me tu samja tha hit ho ge
Posted 11 Sep 2003

MR PERFECT says
Ricky Boy....nice 2 hear from you in a positive manner in which you stuck 2 the topic at hand. i congratulate you on that, first and foremost. unfortunately tho, your buddy NISHU can't do the same. but again, you've made the transition and i'm glad.

as far as Laaj goes, i have not seen the movie. i'm basing my opinion on this article. while it indicates yet another flop, you have to keep 2 things in mind: 1) its only 1 week into its release, and 2) its the directors first movie.

yes...i'am the one who said 'another one bites the dust' but in retrospect, we all should give the movie more than a week to make any kind of conclusion. and i can guarantee you, Larki Punjaban will deliver, so i'm still sticking to what i said.

as far as it being 'bolly time', pakistani's have and will continue to watch bollywood movies, man. me personally tho....nope. i'll watch laaj 5 times, before i consider watching devdas. lol. thats just me. am i deprived because of this?? NO. why? cause i don't mind our quality being bad. sure i would like for it to improve, but i'll still watch even if it doesn't. theres something abt ghetto pakistani cinema that draws me towards it. lol.

look...this aint a competition...bollywood is better than lollywood. i can admit this. we all can. lollywood's still tryin' to get over that hump. in due time we will. its like u said: its a learning process.
Posted 11 Sep 2003

MR PERFECT says
and good point tracker sahib. that might be one of the reasons as well...
Posted 11 Sep 2003

ricky boy says
I M SURE PAKISTAN HAS TALENTED MAKERS ! NOT DEBATING THAT ONE BIT. U KNOW NFAK I M NOT SAYIN THE MOVIES IN QUESTION ARE BAD MOVIES. I M SURE THEY ARE GRRRT . TEH SINGLE DECIDING FACTOR FOR THE FATE OF MOVIES IS THE AUDUENCE AND THEIR LEVEL OF MATURITY AND THEIR WILLINGNESS TO STRETCH IT. GRRRT MOVIES BITE TEH DUST CAUSE THE AUDIENCE IS JUST NOT READY FOR IT . U KNOW WHAT I M SAYIN NFAK. IN INDIA THE FACT IS THAT WE ARE LIKEE FED A 1000 MOVIES A YEAR .IT S MOVIE OBSESSED NATION AND THE AUDIENCE HAS THAT LEVEL OF ANALYTICAL ABILITY. SO WE MAKE A GOOD MOVIE AND IT RUNS , SOMETIMES IT DOESNT, CAUSE THERE ARE MAKERS WHO WILL ALWAYS GO A STEP FORWRD. I ALSO HAVE A LAYMAN POINT OF VIEW ON THAT-- A MOVIE THAT U CAN WATCH AGAIN WILL ALWAYS RUN.... . I SHOULD SEE A PAKISTANI FLICK BEFORE I GET INTO THIS DEBATE WITH YA... LOL AND CMON NFAK WATCH DEVDAS AFTER U R DONE WATCHING LAAJ TEN TIMES CAUSE FROM 'ONE MOVIE BUFF TO ANOTHER '- IT S AN AWESOME AWESOME MOVIE..
Posted 11 Sep 2003

ricky boy says
AND WATCH IT ON THE BIG SCREEN
Posted 11 Sep 2003

MR PERFECT says
you have a point ricky. movies will go as far as the audience take 'em. but this is one of many problems in lollywood: we change our minds all the time. lol. one day we want a high tech, high budget movie with a kick ass starcast and the next day we want all our ace stars which draw crazy money exiled, in exchange for 'fresh faces.' the talent is there, but the audience needs to adjust and make up their minds. we (pakistanis) are our biggest criticizers (if there's such a word). that could be a good thing, or a bad thing, and in this case its bad. nobody's on the same page, talent or audience. lol. some day tho....!

larki punjaban would be a good start for pakistani movies if you plan on seeing one. its being released in the states before it hits pakistani cinemas. honestly man...give it a try and then bash all u want. lol. and i'm not sure how good your punjabi is, but anohter great movie would be 'chooriyan.' its simpleness won the audience over. nothing fancy - straight forward movie, with songs that kicked ass, and brought the story along quite nicely. try any one of 'em out, and i'll watch devdas. cool?!

all jokes aside...i've heard many good things about devdas. two of my favorites are in there (SRK/MADHURI), but i just haven't gotten around to watching it. its among good company tho, in terms of monster hit movies i have not seen. titanic's in there, men in black, independence day, any of the james bond movies, bollywood's K3G, and hell even lollywood's yeh dil aap ka huwa. lol. but again, you watch a lollywood movie, and i'll watch devdas! lemme know what u think....
Posted 11 Sep 2003

MR PERFECT says
woh woh woh....how'd u know i had a big screen? lol.
Posted 11 Sep 2003

ricky boy says
saw the shadow in ur blue glasses nfak
Posted 11 Sep 2003

sanam411 says
KON SI BLUE GLASSES!...
Posted 12 Sep 2003

MR PERFECT says
lol. sanam jee, meri avatar ki blue glasses.....
Posted 12 Sep 2003

Rain Man says
lol
Posted 12 Sep 2003

nishu007 says
lollywood .... a great failiure..pj..
Posted 12 Sep 2003

paki lion says
INDIA GREAT FAILURE! [enforcer]
Posted 12 Sep 2003

listen ppl a movie got flop is not indication that it was pathetic
and a block buster is not guarntee of good film

For example JP Dutta Movie Border was a big hit butthe story is totally illogical and one can find sevral loop holes in it.

While Lamhe starring Anil Kapoor and Sri Devi wa a biggest flop but have a heart touching story
Posted 12 Sep 2003

ricky boy says
thanx very much paki lion!!!!!! god bless ya lol
Posted 12 Sep 2003

shaze says
The film is a semi-hit. Its doing really well in punjab and the business is picking up in karachi.
That review which PAKI LION copied from Pakvibes website is load of Bul... Half of the words r takn out 4rm Oxford dictionery. I have got a fair review from Rashid Khawaja who is producing the upcoming big budget film SALAKHEIN and he said the film is defineatly worth watching. It is a good film adn it does have few flaws in its screenplay like YEH DIL AAP KA HUWA had but overall films quality shines.
Il watch Laaj anyday
WAT U SAY
Posted 12 Sep 2003

MR PERFECT says
excellent point teen sahib.

and you 2 shaze...good point. its only been a little over one week since its release...business might and probably will pick up. atleast i hope so.
Posted 12 Sep 2003

Reply to Topic