Looking for career advice!! Please help me!

28 views 1 replies
Reply to Topic
ChelseaVork

Total Posts: 98

I (24F) need career advice desperately. Please, please help!!

Am I making a mistake in my career?

Looking for some advice because I am worried I am making a mistake in my career. For a little background, I (24F) graduated undergrad in May 2020 so I’ve been working for a land dev firm in the Midwest for about 2.5 years. I also interned with the same company for 2 consecutive summers while I was doing undergrad. Basically, they have done a lot for my growth as an engineer and I know they are thankful I am on their team. They treat me very well, don’t put too much pressure on me, and have given me very good training. I will say I am underpaid based on averages in my city, but I have gotten good bonuses and raises each year.

I don’t really enjoy what I do day to day, but I also don’t hate it. Sometimes it can get pretty stressful but there is always someone around that I can ask questions. I mainly design single family residential or commercial projects - grading, utilities, plans. I started looking for other jobs recently just to see what else is out there - nothing too serious. I got an interview with a company that does underwater design and inspection and I got the job! This job really interests me, but I have no idea if I will like it or not because I have only done land development.

I am at a loss because part of me wants to try something new, but I don’t want to end up regretting it and burning any bridges. Do you guys think if I end up not liking it my current company would take me back? Is this common in the industry? Or would it ruin any chances I have of growth within my current employer.

I should mention that the new job is in a city across the country that I have always wanted to live in, but I am scared of relocating.

I am so conflicted because half of me feels like I can’t imagine being in land development the rest of my life but the other half feels like I could be making a professional mistake with a good company that cares about me as a person.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks!!!

Posted 2 weeks ago

Durrandort says
It’s hard to know if you’ll like the new role until you actually try it, but I found that sometimes taking that leap helped me figure out what I really wanted. I was also worried about burning bridges, but in my experience, if you leave on good terms, there’s usually a chance you could go back if things don’t work out.
If you’re considering a complete career shift, I remember looking into online programs, like veterinary assistant courses. Here's a link to one I came across: https://www.onlytradeschools.com/online-veterinary-assistant-programs/. It might be worth exploring different fields if you’re feeling unsure about your current path.
Posted 2 weeks ago

Reply to Topic