MYTHBUSTER

11950 views 240 replies
Reply to Topic
ricky boy

Total Posts: 324

this is an article from this sundays edition of 'daily jang' which of course is a paki newspaper..thought u d be interested...read on, it s kinda longish

India's new breed of films: breaking taboo barriers

"There is no such thing as adult movies now. Television and Internet has changed all that," says Usha Nayyar, a social researcher at the Tata Institute of Social Sciences in Mumbai.

By Mohsin Jaffri

With the dawn of information age, computer-links multiplying, Internet capability reaching new heights, data bank capacity going beyond imagination and visual clips on all subjects abound; what is there that can be veiled from the eyes of whoever surfs the web of his choice. In the knowledge field, the distinction between what a young person can grasp and an adult can understand is narrowing to the extent of becoming meaningless. The impact of this new revolution is more effective in the third world and developing countries where people, in the past, were allowed only 'controlled' information and access to the highly advanced social and cultural concepts were rigidly denied. That is no more possible now. The ruling authorities in some countries, India being one, has accepted the reality and are learning to bow down to 'free media environment'.

In this revolution, the western social and cultural concepts of 'right to choose' for adults and 'sex' taken as normal activity removed all the barriers from under the traditional stronghold of 'taboo'. Also, within this concept and a new approach to free market economy, 'whatever is sellable shall be sold', women found that a 'good figure and face' has a value in market. This helped women (talented and not-so-talented) take advantage of market economy and achieve economic independence.

In India, where women were trapped in centuries old traditions and were made to follow in the footsteps of mythological 'daasi' characters, women were subdued as "born to serve". But all this is changing now. With greater access to education (educational centres, school and colleges multiplying) and more open policy allowing foreign media to enter freely in India, young generation now seem to have more confidence in discussing, tackling such issues that were taboo just a decade ago. India, much ahead in Information Technology compared to its neighbours is also far ahead in accepting the revolution and meeting it. And it takes a positive route by accepting the challenge and implementing liberal policies to create a progressive environment.

India's censor policy has also gone through a complete overhaul. What was a complete no-no some years ago has not only become acceptable but is seen in a respectful vein - and not a mere cheap thrill.

There was a time when a film like Ram Teri Ganga Maili in which an attempt was made (daring for the time) to break taboo subject of sex (explicit encounters outside marriage) but didn't succeed. It actually raised quite a hue and cry. The audience not only felt uneasy but angry too. But a decade and a half later with the young generation better educated, well informed and with access to cultural environments of the western world and entering a liberal age in their own country accepted a highly sex-oriented film like Kama Sutra. Some so-called fundamentalists did create commotion but that was all. This was a courageous attempt and opened the way for 'free and frank' discussions on big and small screens both on taboo subjects.

India adopted a policy of 'liberalism in its true spirit'. She allowed women to come out in the open and choose and define their own role in the society. This helped the Indian women to emerge as 'reborn', accepting new challenges and creating a respectable place for themselves in society. The Indian film industry revitalised with the introduction of highly educated young girls and young men joining the industry, moved towards more open policy. With 'nothing barred' concept and stories, the image and quality of the screen became open and progressive.

Two films, Hey Ram and Gadar, took up the tricky subject of the division of India and birth of Pakistan. This was again for the first time that subject like this (sensitive to good neighbourly relation) was put on screen. Now, with mature and more educated audience, Indian film industry attempted another sensitive and taboo subject in Kya Kehna a story revolving around a single unwed mother, which turned into a box-office success - a subject that could not have been discussed in the open only a decade ago became a big-screen production. Another daring subject about 'live-in relationship' was filmed with the title Hamara Dil Aapke Paas Hai. This too managed to pull crowds without any agitation, fuss or criticism.

Anupama Chopra, a film commentator for the weekly newsmagazine India Today, says, "I think the biggest change is the way films have started dealing with relationships. It has become more natural and realistic." Indian women with newly found confidence through education and economic opportunities in job markets felt at ease with some of the taboo barriers removed and entered the new liberal environment with full confidence. In 'new mood society' taking the bull by the horn, more experiments were taken in. Another film Fire, based on 'relationship between two women' drew big crowds. Fire was produced by former actress Deepa Mehta who reasoned the choice of the subject on the grounds that there should be no dark corners in society that people shouldn't know about. Deepa Mehta's courage in tackling a taboo issue was appreciated by many liberal social groups and the film received critical approval. Soon another film being produced by Kalpana Lajmi (yet to be titled) would be in the market bringing the environment of the ancient city of Khajuraho, famous for its sexually explicit sculptures.

In a survey carried out in India, asking what the new generation of cinemagoers want, the reply was "something new reflecting the changes that are taking place and certainly not the old stuff". It is a known fact that India's film industry is the largest in the world. It produces on an average 160 films in Hindi (Urdu) and around 650 films in various provincial languages annually.

Indian film industry is now fully developed with the best technology related equipments, skilled computer animations, highly educated actors and actresses and fully skilled dancers (classical and modern). The demand for Indian films in foreign markets of the east and west is growing fast. Every thing begins from home, according to one estimate, the cinemagoers in India stand around 60 million per day; this has helped the industry to grow tremendously and to enter export market too.

The Indian film industry, film stories, subjects and issues being handled, and the new liberalism reflect that Hollywood is dead and Bollywood has come of age. Whether it means better cinema or not, only time will tell, one can safely assume that 'trite' could take a break for a while till the audience explore cinema that is unconventional, realistic and is closer to life.

Posted 09 Oct 2003

slik chik says
NOPE THEY AINT, BUT SURE NEITHER AM I!
I DONT HAVE A HABIT OF POINTIN FINGERS AT OTHERS N LEAVIN MASELF OUT! IM HARDLY A MODEL MUSLIM, BUT THEN AGAIN, WHO IS THESE DAYS?
ALL I HOPE IS THAT ALLAH SHOWS EVERY1 THE RIGHT PATH TO WALK ON, DATS ALL I CAN SAY BOUT IT!

N BOUT THE BURQAA, YEAH THAT CUD BE ANOTHER REASON, WEN I WAS IN PAK LAST YEAR, IN LAHORE, I WAS OUT SHOPIN WITH MA FRNDZ, N WE RAN INTO THESE 2 PAKI ACTRESSES, RUBINA ASHRIF N SUBHA PURWAIZ,N THEY WERE LIKE WEARIN THE MOST RIDICULOUS LOOKIN TROUSERS N TOPS, THAT WE ALL BURST OUT LAFFIN! THEY'RE CLOTHES DIDNT MAKE SENSE, I MEAN,THEY DONT CHECK THEMSELVES IN THE MIRROR THEY JUSS ASUME DAT AS LONG AS ITS WESTERN, IT'L DO!
I MEAN, WE ALL WENT FROM IRELAND, N I HAD MA INDIAN FRND THERE WITH US ASWELL, N WE CUDNT STOP LAFFIN, THINK THEY WUD HAVE BEEN WAY BETTER OFF IN A PAIR OF SHALWAR KAMEEZ!
DAMN, MAN, THEY LOOKED LIKE CLOWNS!
Posted 31 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
HAHAHAHAHALOL, LOL!! i could only imagine how they must have looked. lol.

no kidding?! i was in lahore last year as well! i saw sadia imam (super duper model!!) and humayon saeed (the drama artist) at the airport upon arrival. they were right behind us in a LONG, LONG lineup which really wasn't a lineup (u know how it is in pk). lol. long story short, she was chatting it up with my mom (i had absolutely NO idea who she was. if i did, i might have asked 4 an autograph. i was simply staring at her thinking...hey...she's pretty. lol.) and she looked fine. she had on a salvaar kameeze with one of 'em long over-coats which are real thin. u know what i mean?! anyhow, she's a supermodel so she obviously knows how 2 dress...that being said she chose a salwaar kameese, and didn't come off as a wannabe westerner, altho she of all people could pull it off, dont u think!

but u're right. some of these artists overdue it. us westerners are more traditional than some of those in pk. lol. all i know is, i have yet 2 see humaira in pants. she can wear all the burkha's she wants, but she's got style when it comes 2 dressing (in traditional outfits). i hope she stays that way! lol.

Posted 31 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
oh! and sanam....humaira, as in humaira arshad! the singer!!
Posted 31 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
everybody suxs but lucky ali...
Posted 01 Nov 2003

sanam411 says
ohh okk HERRRRRRR.....ACHAA!.....i thought she was ur gf or somethin ....ehhehehe!...ALRIGHT OKK HER!
Posted 01 Nov 2003

MR PERFECT says
common now mr. death yaar. if anything, lucky ali sucks! (j/k). seriously tho. never heard any of his songs....which one(s) did he sing?

and lol @ sanam. nope. i WISH humaira was tho. (j/k)!
Posted 02 Nov 2003

sanam411 says
wellllll nfakfan.....hota hai .....

life sucks and then you die   
Posted 02 Nov 2003

MR PERFECT says
LOL. tru say!
i should take my own advice eh!?
Posted 02 Nov 2003

MrDeath says
well yo seem to have not herad lucky ali yet...

yo know.,,,. he has released only threee albums.. n the first one was way back in 95.. he sings less but sings best.. remember the song from ... kaho na pyaar hai... ek pal ka jeena ....

Posted 02 Nov 2003

MR PERFECT says
never heard of that song! all i know is lucky ali, is sajjad ali's younger brother. so there's no doubt in my mind, he's good.

but u gotta get into other people/groups, mr. death! fuzon...listen 2 them and i promise u, u'll be blown away.
Posted 02 Nov 2003

sanam411 says
YUPP I KNOW WHAT U TALKIN ABOUT NISHU!!!.....

HE IS OK!...
Posted 02 Nov 2003

MrDeath says
see nfak... a girl knows better than yo... readin all yr post i thought yo had a great knowledge of indian singers... but i was wrong..

Posted 03 Nov 2003

slik chik says
MrDeath said:

see nfak... a girl knows better than yo... readin all yr post i thought yo had a great knowledge of indian singers... but i was wrong..

not the first time!
Posted 03 Nov 2003

slik chik says
NFAKFan said:

HAHAHAHAHALOL, LOL!! i could only imagine how they must have looked. lol.

no kidding?! i was in lahore last year as well! i saw sadia imam (super duper model!!) and humayon saeed (the drama artist) at the airport upon arrival. they were right behind us in a LONG, LONG lineup which really wasn't a lineup (u know how it is in pk). lol. long story short, she was chatting it up with my mom (i had absolutely NO idea who she was. if i did, i might have asked 4 an autograph. i was simply staring at her thinking...hey...she's pretty. lol.) and she looked fine. she had on a salvaar kameeze with one of 'em long over-coats which are real thin. u know what i mean?! anyhow, she's a supermodel so she obviously knows how 2 dress...that being said she chose a salwaar kameese, and didn't come off as a wannabe westerner, altho she of all people could pull it off, dont u think!

but u're right. some of these artists overdue it. us westerners are more traditional than some of those in pk. lol. all i know is, i have yet 2 see humaira in pants. she can wear all the burkha's she wants, but she's got style when it comes 2 dressing (in traditional outfits). i hope she stays that way! lol.

man, we is way behind those peepz in pak, i went back to pak n it felt as if they had jus cum ova from abroad n i was the one livin in pak! hahaha, but that was only by the way they looked, most of them, well, wen they opened their mouths, ud feel relieved n say: ahhh.yup, im in pakistan alrite! hahahahahahaha!
u know wat the worst thing is, sum of them aunty jee's, the really overwaieght ones, lolz, they prob dont realise how huge they r n they wear such tite fitting clothes that.....eeeewwww....cant even discribe it!
such was n incident at ma frndz weddin in pak, there was this aunty jee, n she was really big, n i mean big, n she was wearin very tight fittin clothes! shewas standin up n wen she bent down to sumthin, there was a ripping sound, n all us gals burst out laffin, cuz she had just been after rippin the side of her kameez almost all the way to her underarms area! man it was hilarious, she got a shawl from one of her frndz n went home to change, n wen we saw her next she was wearin very loose fittin clothes! man, it still doesnt get old! hahahahahaha
Posted 03 Nov 2003

MrDeath says
slik chik said:

MrDeath said:

not the first time!

see that nfak...
Posted 03 Nov 2003

slik chik says
I MEANT NOT THE FIRST TIME U WAS WRONG! HEHEHEHEHEHEHE!
Posted 03 Nov 2003

MR PERFECT says
lol @ mr. death. yaar, i listen 2 GOOD music, thats y i dont know who lucky ali is. lol. (j/k) but he's pakistani, man! not indian!

LOL, LOL, LOL @ slik chick. i could only imagine how funny that aunty-jee must have looked. lol. i would be embarrassed BIG TIME if i had 2 ask 4 a shawl from someone, especially 4 that reason. lol. ah well...serves aunty-jee right. i guess she learned her lesson when she came back with them loose clothes. LOL.

but u're right abt people from pk movin' on up (fashion wise)! u ever been 2 defense in lahore?! honestly...u'd think u're in the twilight zone. lol. the broads there are WAAAAY 2 modern. but again, i guess its just part of a more open pakistan. wear whatever u want, i could care less, but common now...aunty's should refrain. lol.
Posted 03 Nov 2003

slik chik says
HAHAHA, I KNOW THEY SHUD, ESPECIALLY IF THE IF THEY AINT EXACTLY HAVE A FLATTERING FIGURE!
YEAH PAK HAS MODERNISED ALOT, BUT I THINK THATS A GOOD THING SO EVERYBODY CAN DO THEIR OWN THING!
Posted 03 Nov 2003

MR PERFECT says
couldn't have said it better myself!

so wat else is new with u slik chik?!
and how 'bout u, mr. death?! wats new?!
Posted 04 Nov 2003

MrDeath says
did ya said that lucky ali is pakistani..?????
Posted 04 Nov 2003

~Fragi~ says
yeah sajjad ali ka bhia hia lucky ali

Posted 04 Nov 2003

MrDeath says
mera bewaqoof bhai logon... lucky ali is da son of great comediean mehmood...he is indian..lucky is indian..that it..
Posted 04 Nov 2003

MR PERFECT says
LOL.

mr. death yaar...if the lucky ali you are talking abt, is a singer....he is sajaad ali's little brother and they are both pakistani! i know this 2 be 100% factual since sajjad ali, and lucky ali are both my mom's aunt's nephews! its tru its tru! no joke. why don't u post a pic of the lucky ali you are talking abt...that will confirm one way or another.
Posted 04 Nov 2003

~Fragi~ says
yeah deatho ..nfakfan is rite ...

yeah aur lucky ali hai
Posted 05 Nov 2003

MrDeath says

abe ye raha lucky ali...my fav singer...he is da best rulz the world....
Posted 05 Nov 2003

slik chik says
NFAKFan said:

couldn't have said it better myself!

so wat else is new with u slik chik?!
and how 'bout u, mr. death?! wats new?!

nothin much nfak, juss same ol same ol, goin to uni, goin home very late havin sum food, watch a bit of telly n then off to bed! lolz, dats it, wat bout u?
Posted 05 Nov 2003

MR PERFECT says
oh le. u see mr. death?! it was all a misunderstanding. this guy isn't the guy we were talkin' abt. this one probably IS indian. he's not sajjad ali's brother.

so u think he's the best eh?! never heard him. lol. sorry!
Posted 05 Nov 2003

MR PERFECT says
slik chik said:

nothin much nfak, juss same ol same ol, goin to uni, goin home very late havin sum food, watch a bit of telly n then off to bed! lolz, dats it, wat bout u?

same here! same routine day in day out. lol. altho i dropped 1 of my courses, and lemme tell u...what a freakin' load off my shoulders! just a suggestion slik chick....never take sociology. LOL.

the other day i had leftover fried chicken (popyes (not sure if ya'll get it in ireland?!)) at sehri. word 2 the wize...don't eat fried chicken complete with hot sauce at sehri. LOL. i learned that the hard way. my entire day was screwed! just like the roti..the chicken sat smack in the middle of my stomach and chest, not comin' up, or goin down. LOL. then at rosa openning, after i had a pakora or 2...it digested. lol. what a day!
Posted 05 Nov 2003

~Fragi~ says
MrDeath said:

abe ye raha lucky ali...my fav singer...he is da best rulz the world....

arey haan yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh bhi lucky ali hai SAFAR , AKS wala ...

per we r talkin abt another lucky ali
Posted 05 Nov 2003

slik chik says
NFAKFan said:

slik chik said:

same here! same routine day in day out. lol. altho i dropped 1 of my courses, and lemme tell u...what a freakin' load off my shoulders! just a suggestion slik chick....never take sociology. LOL.

the other day i had leftover fried chicken (popyes (not sure if ya'll get it in ireland?!)) at sehri. word 2 the wize...don't eat fried chicken complete with hot sauce at sehri. LOL. i learned that the hard way. my entire day was screwed! just like the roti..the chicken sat smack in the middle of my stomach and chest, not comin' up, or goin down. LOL. then at rosa openning, after i had a pakora or 2...it digested. lol. what a day!
HAHAHAH, DONT WORRY, I DONT THINK ILL BE DOIN SOCIOLOGY, HEHEHEH!
LOLZZZ, WELL, YA LEARNT IT NOW, HOPEFULLY YA WONT BE EATIN THWAT CHICKEN AGAIN! ATLEAST YA DID DIGEST IT NAA! HEHEHEHEHEH!
NEXT TIME, BE CAREFUL!
WAT U DOIN FOR EID? GOT ANYTHING INTERESTING IN MIND?
Posted 06 Nov 2003

Reply to Topic
Copyright ©2024 Janubaba.com - All Rights Reserved.- .018