Cricket can ease tension Indo-Pakistan

519 views 8 replies
Reply to Topic
paki lion

Total Posts: 1162

FAISALABAD: Former Pakistan great Imran Khan Thursday hailed Indias offer to revive sporting links between the rival nuclear neighbours saying that it would ease tension and improve the region’s economy.

"I welcome Indias offer and have always believed that cricket can help in not only easing tension, its good for both countries and a financial bonanza," the former allrounder told AFP.

"With less tension you invest less on arms and it could in turn help counter unemployment which is a huge problem in both countries," said Khan, 51, who is now a member of Pakistan’s parliament. India’s cricket team may undertake its first Test tour of Pakistan in 14 years in March following Wednesday’s offer by New Delhi to restore full sporting ties between the rivals.

Khan, who led Pakistan to their first series win in India in the 1987-88 season, said cricket will cement relationship between the South Asian nuclear rivals. "Cricket can further the process of peace as it ignites huge interest and fervour in both countries and I look forward to Indias tour next year," he said. The Indian government banned bilateral cricket matches between the two after the 2000 Asia Cup due to political tensions but allowed the teams to play in multi-nation events like the World Cup.

India played against Pakistan in the preliminary league of the World Cup in South Africa in March, a game that passed off without incident. While India has not played a Test series in Pakistan for 14 years, Pakistan toured India for three Tests in early 1999, despite threats from Hindu fundamentalists.

Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul Haq and coach Javed Miandad said they waited with anticipation to take on the Indian side. "Its the call of millions of people from both the countries that we play cricket against each other," said Inzamam. Miandad, who was Pakistan coach to India on their last trip, in 1999-2000, said cricket was a bond between the two nations.

"So many people in both the countries are bound by cricket and the relationship will be strengthened with the Indian team coming to Pakistan," he said. India has finally realised the importance of sporting links, former captain Intikhab Alam said. "I am delighted to hear this and think that India has finally realised how big a role cricket can play in normalising relations," said Alam.
Posted 24 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
india should play cricket wid pak..

i mean... either ban all the sports relations.... or ban nothin
Posted 26 Oct 2003

Rain Man says
right
Posted 26 Oct 2003

~Fragi~ says
so true@ deatho
Posted 27 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
i always spead truth
Posted 27 Oct 2003

~Fragi~ says
acha
Posted 27 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
rite... anyways it was speak not spead.
Posted 28 Oct 2003

~Fragi~ says
ok mein samjha k spead jhoot wala .. hai ...
Posted 29 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
oh
Posted 29 Oct 2003

Reply to Topic
Copyright ©2024 Janubaba.com - All Rights Reserved.- .007