Zee Cine Awards: Why It Rocked

2528 views 41 replies
Reply to Topic
Rain Man

Total Posts: 24391

Forget the behind-the-scenes drama, the Zee Cine Awards in Dubai last weekend truly rocked. More than anything else, it made a genuine effort to cement the Indo-Pak relations further, which have been on an upswing in the recent times. Simply put, Bollywood and Lollywood [the Lahore film industry] were akin to the ambassadors of peace that night.

Hosting a majestic show not in India, not in Pakistan, but in a third country [Dubai, U.A.E.] and assembling the biggies of Bollywood [Big B, Dharmendra, SRK, the Roshans, Preity Zinta, Urmila, Sushmita Sen, Saif Ali Khan, Randhir and Kareena Kapoor, Shahid Kapur, Javed Akhtar, Shabana Azmi] and Lollywood [Reema, Resham, Jawed Sheikh, Omar Sharief] was an effort in the right direction and the management of Zee deserves bouquets for it.

The behind-the-scene camaraderie between Indian and Pakistani stars was to be seen to be believed. The stars from the two nations interacted as if two long-lost brothers had met after being separated in childhood. “I sincerely wish we could make movies together,” Jawed Sheikh, who directed the biggest hit of Pakistani cinema a year ago [YEH DIL AAPKA HUWA], told this writer at the after-the-show party at the Hyatt.

That's not all! The Pakistani crowd in the audience cheered every time the camera focussed on the Big B or SRK or Hrithik Roshan, while the Indians went into raptures not over Shekhar Suman or Javed Jaffrey's on-stage frolics, but on stand-up comedian Omar Sharief's witticisms.

And guess who enjoyed Sharief's epigrams the most? None other than the Big B, who seemed to have a rollicking time every time the humorist cracked a joke with a straight face. Omar Sharief was undoubtedly the star of the evening.

The winners, in my opinion –

Karan Johar. The Zee Awards also revealed a whole new facet of Karan's personality: An amazing anchorperson.

Juhi Chawla. Her rendition of the title track of KAL HO NAA HO not just surprised the audience, but even the music composers present at the venue. Sushmita Sen cheered the most!

SRK. The King Khan stole the hearts of the audience when he called a few people on stage, danced with them and showered them with expensive gifts. Though the act was lengthy, the Dubai crowd was not complaining.

The lifetime achievement award to Yash Johar. The act preceding the award presentation – with SRK, Hrithik, Preity and Juhi performing on numbers from Johar Sr.'s films – was fantastic. Karan Johar wept profusely as his father was handed over the trophy. An emotional moment undoubtedly!

And those who missed the bus this time around –
John Abraham. The talented actor, who was the anchorperson for a few segments that evening, looked uncomfortable and ill at ease. Nervous? “Yes, I need to loosen up. But I'll improve,” John admitted to this writer after the show.

Ditto for Katrina Kaif, who looked wooden all through.

Salman Khan's noble intentions of raising funds for a home for the aged went for a toss when the buyer at the auction turned out to be a fake.

Shekhar Suman was reduced to a mere caricature when Omar Sharief and he came on stage together.
Posted 03 Mar 2004

Rain Man says
Omar Sharief was undoubtedly the star of the evening.

No Doubts Peepz
Posted 03 Mar 2004

zeeyad says
they were pretty kool awards....u should be thankful to the organizers to have invited pakistani actors and making them a part of something so big. seems like bollywood is taking the peace initiative forward
Posted 04 Mar 2004

YAS said:

Omar Sharief was undoubtedly the star of the evening.

No Doubts Peepz

everyone has their own opinions but omar shariff was defently the star
Posted 04 Mar 2004

CuteEsha says
huh omar shareef
Posted 04 Mar 2004

CuteEsha said:

huh omar shareef

HE ENTERTAINED THE WHOLE SHOW YAAR
Posted 04 Mar 2004

CuteEsha says
well may b he did
Posted 04 Mar 2004

Rain Man says
for sure he did, or else it would've been the same old show
Posted 04 Mar 2004

CuteEsha says
hmm well i didn't see
Posted 04 Mar 2004

zeeyad says
ah the buffon from pakistan ...he was funny ..seems like he s a omar sharif fan and picked up his name....he was alrite ......ur actresses i m afraid look horrendous. cant even talk to save their lives. i loved how srk subtly embarrased her and send her away . he s just too goood. this show rocked and good for pakistsn cause atleast ur actors got a chance to be involved in something so big otherwise ur shows are such an eyesore
Posted 05 Mar 2004

STANDARD says
this show rocks due paki star and umer sharif..brought a more audience from pakistan and overseas pakistani..
otherwise this show may be normal.

many audiences of pakistan watched coz of lollywood and Umer sharif..it's a fact.

and indian shod friendship with pakistan and forget past hate and dont happy with Banyan and Mini skirt culture.
Posted 05 Mar 2004

it was really gross ... shud be ashamed of yourself ( ydakh)... [:^(]

Bollywood movies are made to address the indian audience and not pakis audience ... and since indians dont mind stars wearing any outfit ...why u guys have problem...
one more thing i wanna add here ...what u r wearing doesnt matter .. all depends upon the way u carry it ...

Indian actress's ( many r professional models ..
recognised internationally ( miss world and miss universe) carry themselves very beautifully .. i dont think anybody over here dare to deny this...   [=D>]

About Z-Awards ... that comedian ( what was his name ) ...was cracking jokes basically addressing the pakis society ... none of the indians can ever relate themselves to those cranky jokes. [:s]

e.g. 1) woman with 10 kids ... sorry if i am offensive ... please do not get affected ... In india ...in the present scenario ..it is difficult to find anybody with 10 kids ... [:P]
2) woman wearing lots of makeup ... in india ... under female group, majority of them belong to the working class ... so they dont get enough time for such stuff ...i donno abt pakis females ... [xx(]

all the jokes were meant for pakis audience ... maybe u guys were rocked ... but indians were shocked ....he he he ... havent u noticed many flat expressionless
faces ....
[8(]
Here comes a nice and friendly advice ... do not get carried away by those awards... we all know the reality ... why whole of pakis was present there ....
dotn tell me ... to get a glimpse of those aged females (what was their name ) ... who doesnt even know to behave in public ... first female had behaved in such a
weird way ... I was really rolling ... Second one ..the one who came with SRK ...better i keep my big mouth shut ... ha ha ha ha .... She will never forget that night ...
Why r they like this... is it by birth ...he he he ... or u guys dont know to present urself in normal way ....
Posted 05 Mar 2004

i dont care wat you guyz say but i personally only watched the show for sallu and his speech was so sweet.
But after the show i decided it was omar shariff who actually rocked the show he put me and some bollywood starz such as sush and amitabh bachan was tryin really hard not to laugh but I noticed his smile and some of my Indian friends in stitches too.
Posted 05 Mar 2004

ps can some1 tell me who was that otha guy with omar shariff well he was tryin to be funny too but his jokes didnt work on me.
Posted 05 Mar 2004

STANDARD says
miss attitude said:

ps can some1 tell me who was that otha guy with omar shariff well he was tryin to be funny too but his jokes didnt work on me.

so true..

Posted 05 Mar 2004

STANDARD says
indian comedians totally failed..they only can speak english..but they hardly dont have any so called hindi lang...trying to make usa citizen..here indian never admit paki talents becoz they have come only to undermine pakistan...stupidity poor people.
Posted 05 Mar 2004

~Fragi~ says
rite ydakh .. i respect yer feelings but dona b so rigid na .. let dem speak 2
Posted 05 Mar 2004

Rain Man says
Omar was the star of the show...
Posted 05 Mar 2004

MR PERFECT says
Joan_of_Arc said:

About Z-Awards ... that comedian ( what was his name ) ...was cracking jokes basically addressing the pakis society ... none of the indians can ever relate themselves to those cranky jokes.

e.g. 1) woman with 10 kids ... sorry if i am offensive ... please do not get affected ... In india ...in the present scenario ..it is difficult to find anybody with 10 kids ...

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL. i have never read a more ludicrous statement. sorry if i am offensive...please do not get affected...but how else do u explain a population of 1 billion+?! lol. trust me...omer sharif's jokes were directed squarely at BOTH indians and pakistanis.
Posted 05 Mar 2004

Rain Man says
lol jahan sab se zada bachche paida hote hain, india mein n we can't find one with 10, i bet u u can find one with more then 10 lol
Posted 05 Mar 2004

MR PERFECT says
lol.
Posted 05 Mar 2004

STANDARD says
~Fragi~ said:

same advise to indians.
Posted 05 Mar 2004

Rain Man says
Posted 05 Mar 2004

yaar khabi indian ke mo se ache baat sune he jo aj suno ge mere khyal me yeh dream world me rehte he
Posted 05 Mar 2004

~Fragi~ says
ydakh said:

~Fragi~ said:

same advise to indians.

un ko aur way sey samjha detay hain .. per apko waise nahi samjha saktey na heheehhehe .....
Posted 05 Mar 2004

CuteEsha says
kya hua
Posted 06 Mar 2004

Rain Man says
jhagra hone wala tha, but we're the best
Posted 06 Mar 2004

CuteEsha says
yes jb is the best
Posted 07 Mar 2004

Rain Man says
Posted 07 Mar 2004

CuteEsha says
kya hua meine kuch ghalat kehdiya kyaaa
Posted 08 Mar 2004

you know wats funny that Joan of arc said it is impossible to find any1 with 10 kids in india so why is that india is the 2nd most overpopulated country in the world.
if this has offend any indian then im sorry but its totlaly different wen and indian says it about a paki they dont even have the manners to apologize.
Posted 08 Mar 2004

Reply to Topic